Thursday, March 29, 2007

Postseason

Let me just clarify...I am NOT saying that we are going anywhere this year. I am just saying that whenever it happens, Royals fans will enjoy making it much more than fans of other teams that are there every other year (or every year).

If I were a betting man (stop the snickering) I would say we will have a semi-decent shot at the post season in '08, with a good shot coming in '09. Take our lineup now, add in Billy Butler in the OF or DH, add in Hochevar and Lumsden to the rotaion with probably Meche, Greinke, and...I don't know...maybe Perez, and that team could put it together for about 4 or 5 years before we have to actually pay these guys.

I realize this is a building year (I would say rebuilding, but it's tough to rebuild if you didn't build anything the first time. Rebuilding from the 80's?), but It would be a lot of fun just to start the season a little over .500, let's say 9-7, with Gordon and Teahen over .300 and Greinke with 2 wins. It doesn't take much to get this city buzzing about baseball. I remember '03 when we were 16-3 and I was getting calls from my mom so she could find out if we were winning that day. I think she still thought Saberhagen was on the team, but I liked that she tried to keep up. It was tough getting in and out of the K that year! It's funny, I enjoy sitting in traffic getting in and out of the K, because that means we are doing well.

Does anyone else remember back in '94 when we went on that long winning streak right before the strike? I think we won like 14 in a row. Anyway, those games were crazy! There was 35 to 40,000 every night. I remember going to the game when the streak ended, against the Mariners with Griffey Jr. It was the year that something happened to the Kingdome so Seattle had to play all road games so the game wasn't on the schedule. It was the series where if you got a ticket you could sit wherever you wanted. We showed up around 5:00 for a 7:05 game, the place was already packed, everyone trying to get in the "season ticket" seats. That was one of my favorite games, except for the fact that we lost like 14-3 or something. Oh, the Bob Hamelin years...or year as it turned out.

No comments: