Thursday, April 26, 2007

Oh the Bullpen

I'm wondering what is actually going to happen here in a few weeks when we get Hudson, Elarton, and Dotel off the DL. Buddy says that they need to have a plan, well...I have a plan.

Let's say that when those 3 come off the DL, they pitch relatively well; obviously Hudson and Elarton at starter and Dotel at closer. Right now we have 7 pitchers worthy of a spot on the pitching staff; the 4 starters (Meche, Greinke, Perez, and De La Rosa), 2 relievers (Duckworth and Soria), and for some reason I'm counting Brian Bannister who I saw pitch tuesday night. He looked pretty good. You put those 7 with Hudson, Elarton, and Dotel and you got yourself a pitching staff. That's 10 guys, and 8 of them will be able to go multiple innings on any given night. Only Soria and Dotel will be 1 inning guys.

Now, what to do with those 10 pitchers... I guess we need 5 starters. Automatics: Meche and Greinke. I also can't see us bringing Hudson and Elarton back and putting them into the bullpen. They will both get chances to start. That leaves one spot between De La Rosa and Perez. So far, Jorge has definitely outperformed Odalis, but remember what happened in LA with Perez? He got sent to the bullpen and became a cancer. Now, while I think he will keep his job in the rotation for the time being, there should be a short leash. It will be a shame if De La Rosa loses his spot with how well he's pitched, but I think he would be a GREAT middle relief guy. In my mind, we should have Meche, Greinke, Hudson, and Elarton, with Perez as the 5th starter; with Bannister, Duckworth, and De La Rosa as long relief; and Soria and Dotel as your end of the game guys.

WE CAN WIN WITH THAT...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, it me, your mom.....you're probably shocked that I would enter your blog..... I have no idea who any of the Royals players are any more - oh, for the good 'ol days, when we had George Brett, Frank White, Bret Saberhagen, Dan Quisenberry and even Bo Jackson..... So, don't count on me to comment on something I know little about. However, I have noticed that you keep misspelling "ridiculous"..... I DO know something about spelling..... and it's the mom in me that has to point this out to you.....keep up the good writing - I'm very impressed and not the least bit partial.......mom

Anonymous said...

Aren't blogs supposed to be, you know, updated from time to time? C'mon, Matty. If Wayne can sing just minutes after a death-defying car accident, I think you can find the time to update your blog. Priorities.