Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Really? Not since April?

I can't believe it's been that long since I posted anything. Losing the internet at work has KILLED my blogging time. I can't believe I have to do actual work.

First things first, I will no longer spell ridiculous like this..."rediculous." I learned that over the past month. I was thinking of JJ Redick and going to JJ Rediculous to just rediculous. I should have just started with ridicule. Whatever. Now I just have to come up with something to blog about. Let's see...umm.....let's go with this: positive and negative surprises from the Royals season so far:

Plus:
1. Brian Bannister - really doing well. Seems to be the Luke Hudson on this season, but better. Hopefully he can do this for a few years. His ERA is under 3.50, if he can keep it under 4 as a starter, then we definitely won the Burgos trade.
2. Meche - Living up to the contract so far, just needs run support. He should win 10 games even though we don't score runs. If we figure out how to score runs the next few years, he could be a consistant 15 game winner.
3. Gobble and Soria - could be good out of the pen for a while.
4. Tony Pena Jr. - Somehow, his average is up to .270. If he hits in the .260's and steals a few bases he can play short here for a while. He just has SO MUCH range.
5. Teahen - Such a good all around player. I don't think many teams are going to continue to try and test his arm in right. As good as he already is in right, it seems like he could be just as good in center and probably with more range than DeJesus. And I just don't think DeJesus is ever going to hit good enough to play full time on a good team. Especially with all the OFers in our system.
6. John Buck: Could he be our all star? Probably not because of all the big names at catcher in the AL. He needs to be playing more than 3 out of 5 games though. That's ridiculous. He's on pace to hit about .280 with 23-26 HR's. And he looks like Mr. Incredible! That's awesome!

Minus:
1. Shealy, Gordon, LF - Their hitting just started so miserably. And it seems like we have no idea who's going to be playing LF. From Gload to Sanders to Brown to Butler to Costa to Gathright...are you kidding me? Brutal. (That's my new word now, Brutal...I use it with everything.....it's brutal) And if I see ALEX FREAKING GORDON at 1st base again i'm gonna throw up in my mouth a little. If we have 100 games left, put him at 3rd for 93 of them and rest him for the other 7.
2. Greinke - not that he's been terrible, but I think we need to keep him in the rotation for better and for worse. Are you telling me that Scott Elarton and his 7 ERA needs to pitch every 5th game? I don't think so either.
3. Dotel - He's been injured so he hasn't really been bad, but we need him to do well so maybe we can move him and get something decent for him.
4. Losing streaks - How come we can't win a couple, lose one, then win a couple more? Every time we lose one, it seems like we keep losing for a while or at least until Bannister pitches.
5. Buddy Bell - just way too many lineups, at bat and in the field.

On a good note, JJ and I did get to go to the game last night for our anniversary. Got so see us whip up on the Cardinals. That's ALWAYS a good time.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

About time you posted again.

First, let me just say that it's about time we Free Joey Gathright. Give him the left field job full time, let him get on base and do what he does best -- steal bases. He's only the best player in baseball, it's time to treat him like it.

As for the Royals in general, it's great to see that they would be a legit threat to win any of the National League divisions -- the Central, especially. They took two of three at Colorado (which then did the same at Fenway this week) and then at home against both Philly and St. Louis. And now they're up a game on the Marlins. Maybe they should look into moving to the NL, because the wins just seem to be coming.

Alex Gordon is starting to not look so overwhelmed this week. Back-to-back games with homers ought to help his confidence. Seems like everyone else is plugging along. Even Meche is pitching up to his contract, which is making all the Sox fans up here eat their words after harassing me about that all offseason.

(I countered with J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo, which are far worse contracts. But hey, they're Sox fans, they think they know it all. They're like Cards fans like that.)

All I know is, things are looking up. They're tied with the White Sox in wins. Hopefully, before too long, they're going to be in the Central cellar, not us.

Tommy said...

Matt, the Royals are now 14-11 this month, which means it's their first winning month since that glorious July 2003. Where's a new blog entry on it?

Sweep at Anaheim. Awesome.